Yep, we survived (sort of) the first day of school yesterday! E was oddly hyped about the idea of going to school and meeting his new teacher. I was thrilled that he was being so cooperative about the whole idea. He started getting a little clingy when we got to the room but I quickly distracted him w/ toys on the tables. He even seemed to be fine when Ms. Mayra walked thru the door. He was okay when Daddy snuck out to pay the tuition. The fun stopped when Mommy tried to say her goodbyes. Tears! and more Tears! I am proud to report that when I peaked back around the corner a minute later, he seemed fine. I watched the clock until I finally got the phone call from Mom that she had picked up my baby boy and he'd survived the day and seemed no worse for the wear. Later, when A called to report all about her exciting first day - E got on the phone and recited all about his day and how he painted with his fingers, sang songs and liked his teacher!!! Yeah!!!!!
Miss A on the other hand had wonderful things to report off the bat about fifth grade. It was exciting, they get to change classes for four periods each day, their recess and lunch periods are too short but that is okay because the teachers are so fun and nice why not spend more time with them?? Everyone thought her back to school outfit and hair do were fabulous....it was a great day. Or so I thought. When we were eating dinner, the truth came out. One of the girls (who she is sharing her bday party with in two weeks) made fun of A's new backpack. I knew this could be an issue when we picked it out because it is Littlest Pet Shop and slightly on the young looking side. A didn't care because she thought it was super cute and even if no one else liked it, that wouldn't matter to her. WRONG! When she walked in and this "friend" looks over and in front of all the other fifth grade girls exclaims "that backpack is horrible", Ashton's first fifth grade experience is the pits. She held it together, ignored the girls comments, held it in all day long, after school, thru tennis and then told me the truth at dinner. We had a long talk at bedtime about how to handle situations like that in the future. We discussed how some girls are trying so hard at 10 to be 16 so they cannot admit they might still like things like Littlest Pet Shop or Bratz or Barbies. I told her that 16 is highly over rated and to take her time and enjoy being 10, 11, 12, etc first. 16 will get here before any of them know it and the ones that rushed won't remember the thrill of getting there! Being the mom to a girl going thru puberty and dealing w/ other girls in the same boat is no picnic. I have a feeling fifth grade is going to be a real bitter pill for both Ashton and me. I'm hoping we can both survive the trials and tribulations of our last year in elementary so that we are strong enough to survive middle school next year!!!
Funny E moment of the day: Last night at 2am, I hear him screaming for me from his room. He has been sleeping so well at night since his return from WV that this is the first time he's gotten up during the night so I know something bad has happened. I rush into his room, tripping over a dog bed, hopping on one foot, with one eye open - I kneel down at his bed whispering assurances that everything is okay and Mommy is here. He looks at me and says "Mommy, help me find Blue (his pacifier)". I find it, give it to him and he is snoring in 2.2 seconds. That was it, that was the big emergency. It took me a good 20 minutes to go back to sleep myself. Ahhh, the joys of raising a toddler!
5 comments:
Me, I didn't go to sleep until after 1am b/c I was contemplating the evil-ness residing in the third grade across the hall from my daughter.
Yeah, girls in pre-pubesence can be a real pain and I agree about those that try to grow up to fast. If A lets herself enjoy her childhood, she will be much better because of it. Remind her that those girls that made fun probably (deep down) wish that they were carrying the same backpack because of cuteness too, but are trying to hard to be "the next big thing".
And yea for E and his first day of school. I am sure (by way of your storytelling about him) that he will have a great year and will be one the teacher talks about in years to come!
Hey there! I know it just tears you up when you can't approach these girls and shake the snot out of those girls that hurt your baby girl like that. Girls at that age can be so MEAN!! Tell A that S and D love her and no matter what anyone says we think she ROCKS!!!!
Take a deep breath mommy and keep really good notes for me because I am sure in 4 years I am going to need the cliff notes.
Hate to tell you this, but being in the hell that is teen life every single day, it will only get worse! The middle school drama is the worst! Then, they get a little better in the 8th grade before reverting back to satanism. Usually, girls are little demons until they are around 18, just in time for them to go off to college. So, enjoy this year and get a good prescription for the next few! Boy! I sound negative! Just share with A, and tell her she is much more confident and secure in herself than I ever was! I'm proud of her! Tell her to always be herself! MEAN girls ALWAYS get theirs in the end!
Amy
OK, I literally teared up when I read the part about those girls picking on A! Let me at them! God help anyone who picks on S or L (um, L will probably handle them herself, come to think of it). I told S if I even heard an INKLING of her picking on anyone, she was in for it! I AM NOT READY FOR THIS!!! I'm taking notes from your posts to refer back to in the years to come! Deb and I can huddle when the girls are giving us grief in a few years! So far, Kindergarten is fun, even though S isn't eating her lunch! We are doing three days of dance too! She's exhausted! Welcome to the real world, baby! Hang in there, we are thinking of you as you forge this trail for all of us! :)
Post a Comment