I seem to be suffering from calendar control again these days. It happens alot throughout the year but it seems like from August thru December, I lose all control of my life. Before children, I was an extremely organized, on time individual who was always on top of her game. Now, I'm a confused, disorganized, babbling idiot who doesn't even know what day it is most of the time. I forget conference calls, miss deadlines, overbook myself and the kids with activities and it's stressing me out. For awhile I had a Palm Pilot and that really did help but then it broke and I never got around to getting another one. I've tried a little calendar in my purse but I forget to update it when something new is planned. I'm now trying a Organizer/Planner that I bought at B&N this past weekend. I dutifully sat down yesterday and updated it with all the important calendar items, added important phone #'s and any other important info I can never seem to get my hands on when I need it. I did good today because I remembered to carry the calendar into work with me. Let's see how long this lasts!
I do not like being the person that is late for things. I do not like letting people down when I overbook a day and have to chose between activities. I do not like disappointing my children by promising them we'll do something and then discovering I already have one of us booked for something not as fun. Although my daughter's tennis schedule is probably the biggest culprit in my ability to plan a day ahead of time, I'm also pretty guilty of booking myself with too many things. Between scrapbooking, girl's nights, sorority activities, hair cuts, hair colors, etc. I leave little free time for myself. Sad thing is...I couldn't imagine giving any of it up even if it means better calendar control. It's a thin line I walk between the sanity that calendar control gives me and the sanity I achieve from all of those activities in my life. If forced to choose, I'd choose chaos.
I do feel some guilt that I have so many outlets but then my DH has tennis and golf. He doesn't think comparing our outlets is fair because his are sports and mine are fun. However, he is suprisingly supportive of my "me" time and tries his best to help me keep my calendar control in check. We call each other once a week to go over what is on the other's calendar so that we always know what is going on. That really doesn't help. It's not that the items are not on my calendar - they are right there in my face every Monday - Friday on a big ol' desk calendar. That does not mean I actually look at it though. It also doesn't mean I have it memorized when someone asks me to commit to something outside of the hours of 8:30 - 4:30 M-F.
Hopefully, carrying the new planner with me 24/7 will help. I know there are other moms with more on their plates than I do. I'm sure they've found some fabulous way to stay on top of it all. Until they reveal their secrets, I appeal to all of you unorganized, calendar basketcases like me to just do your best to not punish yourself too much over your inability to take control of your calendar. Just take it one day at a time......
No comments:
Post a Comment