Thursday, March 11, 2010

Brains

I often joke to people that the hospital must have switched Ash at birth and there is some very smart, athletic family stuck with my real, average kid and wondering where they went wrong. Truth is.....sometimes I really believe that and so do most people that know me well and have spent any amount of time around my daughter. Sure, she looks a little bit like me but the similarities end there. She is crazy smart. I mean it - she's been tested. She scored a 1640 on the SAT this year and she's only a 7th grader. Her six week grades have never been below a 95 in any class. Crazy smart. I'm fairly common sense smart and if I apply myself I am capable of learning but I would never say I was book smart like Ash.

Monday night was her induction in the National Junior Honor Society. It was a short ceremony and most of her close friends were inducted as well. It was pretty impressive to realize that I knew most of the 35 kids being inducted - they either went to elementary with my daughter, were in band with her or played volleyball with her this year. I was pleased to find out that of the 10 or so that I didn't know at all, 4 of them were eighth graders so that is why I didn't know them. It is more impressive to realize that my girl is in currently in a 7th grade class of over 400 students and she is among 31 being selected for NJHS.

To say I am proud of her is an understatement. It's more like I'm blown away by her. Sometimes I do not feel worthy of being her mother. Sometimes I feel like she's the mom and I'm the out of control, moody, horrid teenager. However, I am smart enough to realize that I'm one lucky woman to have been blessed with such a lovely child (actually I've been blessed twice but my little monkey man story is for another day). I love this child of mine and am in Shock and Aw of her every single day.

No comments: