So if I didn't already think 2007 was the absolute worst year of my life.......adding the death of my father in law on 12/19 certainly put the exclamation point on it all. I swear to you, it's not just me and my family going thru a rough year, it seems to be almost everyone I know. I have talked to more people that have attended funerals these past few weeks, it is unreal.
Losing my father in law was rough. He had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks but the dr's seemed to think that with continued dialysis and some rehab, he might be back in the assisted living center before we knew it. We had just spent the weekend visiting him and my brother in law and things seemed to be improving. So when the phone rang early Wednesday morning, I didn't think much about it (usually early morning or late night phone calls at my house means more bad news). I figured it was my dad calling hubby about work. However, I knew quickly that was not the case based on the tone hubby took on the phone. Apparently his dad just didn't wake up that morning. C's brother went to feed him breakfast and he couldn't get him to wake up. He had a DNR so the hospital didn't try to revive him. C took it hard. I cannot imagine losing both parents by 41. I cannot imagine losing my parents ever so you know I'll be a basket case when it happens.
Poor E spent his 3rd birthday attending his grandfather's funeral. He did have a good time afterwards playing with his cousin who is just a year old than him. This was the first time they'd met and hit it off right away. We also had a big family party for him at my parents house the next night and he's young enough so he didn't really know the difference. \
Christmas was crazy this year. I had put off shopping due to lack of finances. Then with all the trips to Paris and the funeral, I realized two days before Christmas that I had no gifts for anyone (except the kids). So I spent all day Sunday scrounging the malls, strip centers and Target for anything appropriate and affordable for the people I love. Craziness - pure craziness is the best way to describe trying to shop on 12/23. My feet and head hurt so badly by the time I called it quits I thought I would not be able to take another step. I almost called hubby to have him pick me up in Neighborhood 4 at Grapevine Mills because I wasn't going any further. I made it home in time to rest my feet for 15 minutes, change clothes and head to a Christmas party in town. One of A's classmates parent's have a big party each year that includes about 100+ folks (adults & kids). The kids have a traditional gift exchange and the adults do the white elephant thing. It was a blast!! I was so pleased to end up the proud owner of an official "A Christmas Story" leg lamp. If you seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. If not, I'll send you a picture. Why would I want one of them you might ask?? Because it is my father's favorite Christmas movie and I knew it would make the perfect gift for him (especially since I had not bought him a thing yet). We also ended up w/ a Christina's GC and cannot wait to go eat some Mexican food!!
The kids had a very Merry Christmas and got "everything they ever wanted". E still has a hard time understanding the difference between "for" and "from". If you told him a gift was "from" someone - he'd go and give it back to that person. Then he kept thanking me for the gifts from Santa and when I explained they were from Santa and not Mommy, he got very upset that Santa wanted his presents. I finally gave up. You just cannot win an argument w/ a three year old. A got a Wii from my parents, a new tennis racquet from Santa and big carry bag for her tennis stuff (the exact kind Maria Sharapova carries) from us. She was on cloud 9.
C didn't like the idea of the Wii being hooked up to his precious TV but once it was hooked up and he tried it out - he's hooked. He's determined to master the golf game!! I'm going to a bowling record myself and A likes tennis the best - go figure!! E hasn't seen it in action yet as his bedtime hits before we fire it up in the evening. I'm wondering how we will handle it when he wants to play???
I sure hope all my friends and loved ones had a very Merry Christmas and here's wishing you all a great 2008!!!
1 comment:
Hey babe,
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking bout you and hoping each day taht we will belable to come ring in the new year with you guys!
Post a Comment